TrustFax vs Fax.com vs eFax: Online Fax Services Reviewed
TrustFax is a service of Data On Call, Inc., and owned by J2 Global Communications. They provide value added messaging and communication services. TrustFax combines faxing with the ease of emailing. No matter where you are, you can send faxes and receive faxes.
TrustFax is easy to setup and easy to use. There is no software to download and no need for extra hardware. There are no setup or activation fees. They are an online service, which means TrustFax does not take up any memory in your computers and servers. Their fax service has many features that include:
- Personal Fax Number: You can get your own personal fax number and choose a local number or a toll free number. There are no long distance charges to receive a fax and no need to pay for an extra phone line.
- Sending and Receiving Faxes: All incoming and outgoing faxes are managed by your secure TrustFax mailbox that you can access at any time from anywhere. There is no need for a fax machine, all you need is an internet connection to send and receive a fax anywhere in the world.
- Fax by Email: You can also send faxes via your email and Microsoft Outlook.
- Fax Tracking: You can keep track of all outgoing and incoming faxes through the control panel. This allows you to manage all faxes with their simple online connection.
- Digitized Signatures: You can quickly add a digital version of your handwritten signature to faxes. You can also add your signature to purchase orders, receipts, office memos and correspondence, and mass mailings.
- International Faxing: With TrustFax, you can send faxes to over 200 international destinations at affordable rates.
- PDF: All faxes will arrive in a clear, professional PDF file, exactly as they were sent. No more faint or garbled faxes.
TrustFax has a monthly plan and an annual plan. There is a price discount with the annual plan and you don’t have to worry about paying each month. Their plan features are:
- A 30-day free trial.
- Assigned local or toll free number.
- 300 inbound or outbound (combined) free pages each month (free only applies to U.S. faxes).
- Additional pages for 10 cents per page.
- 30 days free online fax storage.
- Digitized signature feature.
- International faxing outside of the United States and Canada will be billed according to their standard international price list. You must call TrustFax to get these prices.
At this time, they are not charging for online fax storage after 30 days.
- The monthly cost is $12.99 per month.
- The annual cost is $129.90, which is $10.83 per month.
TrustFax Pros and Cons
- Pros: TrustFax is simple to use and has no setup or activation fees, plus they have a 30-day free trial.
- Cons: They do not have mobile apps for their service at this time.
TrustFax Customer Ratings and Comments
TrustFax’s parent company, J2 Global is rated an F by the Better Business Bureau. The main reason for this low rating and their many complaints is for customers having money withdrawn from their bank accounts after the 30-day free trial. This is a common complaint among many companies, due to the fact many forget or just do not cancel after the free trial period is over.
On the positive side, their website has several positive comments from customers promoting how TrustFax has helped their companies.
- “Most importantly, (TrustFax) is a secure site. The security we provide, as medical transcribers, is one of the more important parts of our customer relations. Faxing and Emailing documents right from our desktops has helped manage our documents in a more organized manner - and it saves time. We are notified automatically by email when new documents come into the system throughout each day.”
- “TrustFax is easy to use and very reliable and has become an important part of our daily operations. Certain features allow us to do things we couldn’t do before like emailing a fax or securely saving a copy of the fax on our computers.”
Fax.com is also a service of Data On Call, Inc., and owned by J2 Global Communications. They have been in business since 1996 providing high-quality, reliable digital fax services.
Benefits of Fax.com
There are numerous benefits listed by Fax.com that can help all businesses become more efficient.
- The ability to send faxes from any computer
- No paper, ink or fax machines to purchase
- You can send multiple faxes at the same time
- No busy signals
- You do not need a dedicated phone line just for faxing
- Faxes can be received even if the computer is turned off
- Confidentiality by granting access to only account holders
Fax.com has many of the same features as do the other faxing services owned by J2 Global with some differences. Their features include:
- Pages: 300 inbound or outbound (combined) pages per month to and from anywhere in the United States, and Canada. Additional fax pages after the 300 pages cost 12 cents per page.
- Number: You will quickly get your own local or toll free number.
- Sending Faxes: You can use your desktop computer, cell phone, or laptop to send faxes from anywhere. They do not have a dedicated app though.
- No Delays: Fax.com has one of the largest internet fax networks in the U.S.
- Email: Send faxes from your email account. Faxes sent to your account will show up in your email box as either a PDF or a TIFF file. You have choice as to which format you want the received faxes.
- Customize Faxes: Using the Fax.com web interface, you can compose, send, receive faxes, add custom cover pages, and add headers. You can also store advanced faxing features and information on their online address book.
- Fax Storage: Fax.com stores all of your sent and received faxes for 30 days at no additional cost.
- Sharing: You can share one account with as many people as you like by adding email addresses to grant access to your Fax.com account.
- Formats: Fax.com supports most file formats. Just choose the file from your computer and fax it.
- Security: Fax.com uses SSL encrypted security.
- Password Protected: Customers have the choice of having their accounts password protected.
Fax.com also has several advanced features like time zone stamping, auto-resend, fax forwarding, online reports, and more.
With Fax.com, there are no hidden fees. They only offer a monthly plan. There is a one-time start-up fee of $9.99. At this time, they are not charging for faxes left in storage after 30 days. Customers have the choice to delete stored faxes after 30 days.
Their monthly plan costs $9.99 per month. Faxes sent outside of the United States and Canada will be charged a standard Fax.com rate. Contact the company for these international rates. There are no long term commitments or contracts, just the monthly fee.
Fax.com Pros and Cons
- Pros: Fax.com is a simple to use faxing service at an affordable price. They also have their advanced features like time zone stamping. Faxes can be sent via cell phones, mobile devices and a desktop computer.
- Cons: They do not have any discounted price for an annual plan. Even though you can use your mobile devices, Fax.com does not have a dedicated app. There are reported problems with trying to cancel.
Fax.com Customer Ratings
Their Better Business Bureau rating is the same as TrustFax, since they are both owned by J2 Global Inc. The main complaint by customers is it is very hard to cancel once they had signed up, some stated they thought they had canceled, only to have their bank accounts debited again. A few comments include:
- “I work with this company for a few months when I had some very important documents I was working on and needed to faxed to the government! So i was a little concerned how the quality would turn out on the there end when they received my faxes. I was happy to know one they received everything I sent had no missing pages. This was a great relief and everything resolved perfectly.”
- “The interface is clunky and would take more time than it's worth to get used to. Small font can't be changed. Unreliable service, particularly sending fax via email. Worst of all, trying to cancel is a chore. First you have to hunt around to even find the right page that gives the cancel option. After that you jump through hoop after keep furnishing ID information and in the end the cancellation is not completed but you are transferred to live chat.”
eFax is also owned by j2 Global Inc., and has been in business for 20 years and is considered the world’s number one online fax service. They have more than 11 million customers that use their online fax services every day. Their customers include individuals, small businesses, and Fortune 500 companies from around the world. eFax is a brand of j2 Global Incorporate.
eFax offers many different online fax services including the following features:
- Mobile Fax: With their mobile apps, customers can also fax from their Android or Apple mobile devices.
- Electronic Signature: Whether you are in the office or on the road, you will be able to sign contracts and documents. Customers have two choices; you can drag and drop your signature or swipe your finger across the mobile device.
- Large File Sharing: If you have files that are too large to send via email, you can use eFax to upload your files to as many as 20 addresses at once up to 3 GB.
- Secure: eFax offers SSL 128-bit encryption and there will never be any faxes left sitting on your fax machine.
- Storage: With eFax, you will have lifetime storage for all faxes online.
- Online Retrieval: You will be able to retrieve all faxes online.
- Email Addresses: As a customer, you will be able to fax from 5 different email addresses.
- Outlook: eFax integrated with Microsoft Outlook.
- Phone Number: You will have the choice of either a local or a toll free 800 telephone number.
- Fax Searching: With eFax, you will be able to easily search and find any fax that you have ever sent or received using eFax.
eFax offers two pricing plans to fit your needs. You can eliminate the cost of having a fax machine, ink, and paper. With eFax and you can receive and send faxes anywhere that you have an internet connection. Their pricing plans and features are as follows:
$16.95 per month
$19.95 per month
150 free received pages every month – Then $0.10 per page
200 free pages every month – Then $0.10 per additional page
150 free sent pages every month – Then $0.10 per additional page
200 free pages every month – Then $0.10 per additional page
Customers will get 2 months free when they sign up for the annual plan. They also have corporate solutions for companies with more than 10 employees.
eFax Pros and Cons
- Pros: eFax has mobile apps for Android and Apple devices, plus they have file sharing for files that are too large to send by other means. They offer 2 free months when you sign up for their annual plan.
- Cons: Only allows 150 sent faxes and 150 received faxes with their Plus plan, which seems more confusing than just sent and received combined, (200 each with the Pro plan).
eFax Customer Ratings
Owned by the same company, J2 Global Inc., as the other fax companies in this review, the Better Business Bureau report is the same. eFax is plagued by the same complaints as the other fax companies in this review. It is very hard to cancel the account, and is best done by telephone. Billing will start as soon as the free 30-day trial ends. A few comments include:
- “This Business will not process cancellations unless you call them or go to their website and do it via customer service - from 6 to 6 PST. So you are unable to do it by logging into your account. Go figure.”
- “I used efax for years to receive faxes-free by the way-and never had a problem. Later I started a home business and needed to fax out so I upgraded to be able to send faxes through e-fax and it went well. The fax software/interface is not so user friendly (thus the 4 stars) but other than that it was solid.”